MAJOR REASONS FOR ROUTE DEVELOPMENT TO/FROM RIX
• Riga International Airport (RIX) is the leading airport of the Baltic States as it serves almost half of all the passengers of the region!
• 2015 was a record-breaking year for Riga Airport as there were 5.2 million passengers served (+7.2 %)!
• The growth continues - first half of 2016 shows + 6.3 %!
• Riga Airport has been awarded for Top European Airport Cost Competitiveness Excellence by ATRS (The Air Transport Research Society) as the most competitive airport in Europe in terms of costs and tariff structure per one passenger.
• Central location and superior route network means it can easily draw traffic from all three Baltic countries and Scandinavia.
• Riga is the metropolis of the Baltics and the 3rd largest North – European City!
• Latvia – among the fastest growing economies in the EU (2.7 % GDP growth in 2015)!
• Latvia is an EU country, a member of Schengen and an active participant of the World Trade Organization, enjoying all the benefits of free and open trade in the world’s markets. Customs and border procedures have been standardized for effective planning and coordination with trade partners around the world. Furthermore, Latvia has also become a full-fledged OECD member.
• Latvia has a unique geographical and cultural position, providing a strategic location for business operations targeting developed economies of the EU and emerging markets of eastern neighbours. Latvia is a natural gateway between the US, EU and Asia (especially Russia/CIS).
• Positive tourism growth! 6.8 mln foreign travellers visited Latvia in 2015, which is 9.5 % more than in 2014 and the number of foreign visitors keeps increasing also in 2016!
• Riga has over 700 art nouveau buildings, more than any other European city and is among top 10 best European cities for art nouveu (The Guardian).
• Riga is among the most affordable cities to travel in Europe for a weekend break (City Costs Barometer 2016).
• Lonely Planet has announced that Latvia is one of Top 10 countries to visit in 2016, and awarded Latvia the high award Best in Travel 2016.
New Marketing Support for 2017
Riga Airport has announced a new Marketing support system to Airlines in a form of co-financing of destination marketing advertising campaigns in 2017. The goal of co-branded campaigns is to promote Riga and Latvia as a destination to boost visitor arrivals.
For further information, priorities and application procedure please contact RIX at.